What Should I Do If I’m Hit by a Drunk Driver? | Boulder Injury Lawyers

Call (800) 863-5312 to Speak with a Boulder Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer for Free

Being involved in an accident is scary enough. But what if you realize that the other driver is drunk?

Each day, drunk drivers cause incredible pain and loss to law-abiding motorists. Drunk driving crashes often result in serious injuries or fatalities, and victims can spend weeks, months, or even years recovering from the physical and financial burdens.

If you have been injured or have lost a loved one in a drunk driving accident, call Zinda Law Group at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation with a Boulder drunk driving injury lawyer.

Call the Police

If you suspect the other driver is under the influence, you should call the police. This will ensure both that the accident will be properly documented and that the drunk driver does not get back behind the wheel.

Even if you were not hurt and the damage to your car is minimal, you should still call the police so that they can handle the drunk driver.

File an Insurance Claim

As with any car accident, you should file a claim with the drunk driver’s insurance company. Let the insurance company know that you will be seeking full compensation for your injuries and losses that resulted from the accident.

The insurance company will likely offer you a settlement amount, and it may be tempting to take it. However, it is a good idea to hold off until you know the extent of your injuries.

Additionally, you will have more leverage to claim financial losses if you wait to settle until the other driver pleads guilty to or is convicted of driving under the influence. At that point, the insurance company will be doing anything to avoid going to trial. A jury is much more likely to be sympathetic toward someone who was injured by a drunk driver than the person who was driving under the influence.

File a Civil Lawsuit

You can file a civil lawsuit against a drunk driver to recover any damages caused by the accident. This will likely be the best way to recoup various monetary damages.

Special damages will reimburse you for out-of-pocket expenses like medical bills, lost income, and other measurable economic losses. General damages covers things that are more subjective, like physical and emotional pain and suffering.

Seeking both kinds of damages together is known as compensatory damages. In some cases, you may also have the option to pursue punitive damages, which are damages that seek to punish the driver for their behavior. There may also be a criminal charge against the drunk driver, but you will not receive compensation through the criminal case.

Third Party Liability

Depending on the state, you may also be able to sue third parties for contributing to the car accident. Dram shop laws allow an injured party to bring a civil case against a bar, restaurant, or business that sold or served alcohol to the drunk driver prior to the accident.

Get Help from Boulder Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers

If you or a loved one has been injured by a drunk driver, it is in your best interest to consult with a drunk driving attorney before talking to the insurance company.

A drunk driving lawyer will be able to answer all your questions and explain your legal rights, and they can also help negotiate with the insurance company or file a lawsuit to recover the damages you deserve.

Call Zinda Law Group today at (800) 863-5312 to receive your free consultation with one of our experienced drunk driving lawyers in Boulder. Meetings with attorneys by appointment only.